Learn the language of wine.
A James Beard Award winner! Whether you’re just getting started or are a passionate enthusiast, Wine Folly: Magnum Edition is your guide to wine.
“I reference it constantly. The book even helped me win a blind tasting contest.”
–William H. | Read more reviews
A major upgrade.
Since the first edition, we rebuilt Wine Folly from the ground up, with over two times the content.
Explore the world of wine while you taste and gain deep and practical knowledge using Wine Folly’s revolutionary visual learning method.
“This is a great book for all levels of wine expertise, but I have found it to be especially good for teaching our new employees… while we taste wines with our crew.”
–Dan M. | Read more reviews
Wine Folly: Magnum Edition offers actionable information on how to taste wine and develop your palate. Learn the 4-step tasting method and how to identify wine faults to better discern quality.
Experience the fundamentals of wine and food pairing with tips, tricks, and a do-it-yourself tasting exercise.
Need more? Check the charts on “Pairing with Cheese,” “Pairing with Protein,” and “Cooking with Wine” to find exactly what you need.
An enthusiast-level reference guide including:
- 310 color pages–full of rich visualizations
- 100 wine profiles
- 35 regional wine maps
- 14 wine country profiles with statistical data on the top 52 wine countries
- 246 regional wine profiles
- Hundreds of wine terms and classifications
“I just finished taking the WSET level 3 class and this book covers a lot of what I had learned from the class. Definitely worth every penny!”
–Eric C. | Read more reviews
Order the book from one of the retailers below:
We have confirmation that Wine Folly: Magnum Edition is available in the following languages:
- British English: Michael Joseph – release October 4, 2018
- Dutch: Karakter Uitgevers – release November 15, 2018
- Chinese: (complex – Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau) Cube Press – release TBD
- Italian: Vallardi – release TBD
- Japanese: Nihonbungeisha – October 2019
- German: Heyne Verlag – TBD
- Russian: Azbooka – Winter 2019
Errors & Omissions
First Printing (Sept 2018–May 2019)
Please note our errors in the first printing of this book.
- Page 13 “Esters” not “Esthers” on infographic under Other Stuff.
- Page 15 Garganega listed twice in wines by body graphic.
- Page 47 Traditional Method Sparkling: “Liqueur de Tirage” and “Liqueur d’Expedition” are reversed.
- Page 68 Garganega listed twice on Wines by Style graphic.
- Page 102 “An American grape of the native Vitis labrusca species…” (not “Lambrusca”)
- Page 115 Largest Gewürztraminer producing region is France (Alsace) not Argentina.
- Page 170 Sherry is required to age a minimum of 2 years not 3. (since 2011.)
- Page 170 “Xérès” not “Xerex.”
- Page 170 Infographic shown indicates a 3-criadera solera (not 4).
- Page 214 “Apalta” not “Apaltagua” under heading Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Page 223 On Bordeaux map Sauternais area has Cérons and Loupiac listed with swapped locations.
- Page 225 On Burgundy map under Beaujolais should read “Morgon” not “Morgan.”
- Page 254 Moscato Bianco tasting notes should read “Orange Blossom, Mandarin Orange, Ripe Pear, Lychee, Honeysuckle”
- Page 256 Soave tasting notes should read “Lemon, Green Pear, Green Almond, Chervil, White Peach”
- Page 259 On map “Chianti Colli Aretini” not “Chianti Colli Arentini”
- Page 299 On map the closest AVA to Portland should say “Columbia Gorge” not “Columbia Valley.”