Sabering Champagne has always been swathed in a sheath of unobtainium. This is most likely because not all of us have a sword just lying around. Here’s how to saber Champagne with something we all have access to: a butter knife.
Never underestimate the power of basic kitchen utensils.
How to Saber Champagne (Slow Motion)
Step by Step Guide to Saber Champagne
- 1 Chill Champagne to reduce pressure –we put the bottles in the freezer for one hour
- 2 Completely remove Champagne foil
- 3 Reposition cage carefully to first lip
- 4 Choose Your saber –we used a spoon and a butter knife
- 5 Hold Champagne at 45° angle
- 6 Slide saber in a smooth motion along the seam of bottle
Tips on the Saber Method Follow sage advice and be certain that your bottles are ice cold. Champagne is under seven atmospheres of pressure and heat increases pressure. A failed attempt may involve exploding bottles… which would be lame on multiple fronts.
Want to know the normal way to open Champagne? Check out the right way to open Champagne confidently and safely.