Red Wines From Lightest to Boldest (Chart)
Identify similar tasting red wines based on their intensity from lightest to boldest.
Red Wines from Lightest to Boldest
Just 32 red wine varieties make up a majority of the wine available in the marketplace. If all red wines were placed on this chart, there would be hundreds!
By the way, it’s possible to find a wine that doesn’t line up exactly as depicted. Still this chart helps discover which red wines are bolder than others.
Where does boldness in wine come from?
On the other hand, wines with lower alcohol, less tannin, and higher acidity are lighter-bodied.
Another common way to identify a wine’s position in the spectrum has to do with its dominant fruit characteristics:
- Wines with red fruit flavors tend to be lighter-bodied
- Wines with black fruit flavors tend to be fuller-bodied
Climate Affects Boldness in Red Wine
The fascinating thing about wine grapes is the wide range of climates in which they can grow. However, you’ll notice that certain varieties grow only in cool climates and vice versa. Cooler climates tend to produce lighter red wines with higher acidity.
Here are a few useful takeaways from this chart:
- Pinot Noir does not appear to grow alongside Cabernet Sauvignon
- We can expect Cabernet Franc to have higher stylistic range based its ability to grow in varied climates.
- Merlot can grow in cooler climates than Cabernet Sauvignon
- Bolder wine varieties tend to grow in warmer climates
- Lighter-bodied wine varieties tend to grow in cooler climates
Explore More Wines
Explore the compendium of wine grapes to uncover your next favorite variety!