Sabering Champagne has always been swathed in a sheath of unobtainium. This is most likely because not all of us have a sword just lying around. Here’s how to saber Champagne with something we all have access to: a butter knife.
See the spoon? In the first portion of the video we use a spoon to saber Champagne.
Step by Step: How To Saber Champagne
- Chill Champagne to reduce pressure –we put the bottles in the freezer for one hour
- Completely remove Champagne foil
- Reposition cage carefully to first lip just to be safe
- Choose Your saber –we used a spoon and a butter knife
- Hold Champagne at 45° angle
- Slide saber in a smooth motion along the seam of bottle
Tips on the Saber Method Follow sage advice and be certain that your bottles are ice cold. Champagne is under 5–7 atmospheres of pressure and heat increases pressure. A failed attempt may involve exploding bottles… which would be lame on multiple fronts.
Want to know the normal way to open Champagne? Check out the right way to open Champagne confidently and safely.
Buy the Book - Get the Course!
Get the Wine 101 Course ($29 value) FREE with the purchase of Wine Folly: Magnum Edition.Learn More